Saturday, June 21, 2008

Gargage Sale Time

Have you ever looked around and seen how much crap you have? Well since we are going to be moving soon, we realized that we need to get rid of some of our extraneous crap. This all started last week when we decided that this weekend would be the chosen weekend. On Thursday, I decided to start advertising on KSL.com. An hour later we stated getting phone calls about things mentioned in the listing. By that night, Kim had already sold one of the large items.

Last night we stated hauling crap out of the house and into the garage in preparation for the next morning. By the time we were done, the garage was completely full. Next comes the wonderfully chore of pricing everything. Fortunately, we found "Garage Sale" stickers at All a Dollar. If you are having a garage sale, these are well worth every penny. We finished in the garage about 10:30PM.

Saturday morning, Kim and I were up at 6:00 to get everything out of the garage, setup tables and answer any questions. Our first people started showing up at 6:30. About 7, Kara and my Dad came over with a few things to sell. It was a long hot day and we got rid of a bunch of stuff. When we finished at 1:30, we still had 2 truck loads to take to the DI.

Highlights:
  • Kaylee want to do a Lemonade stand, so we bought her some supplies to make a little money. We spent about $50.00 so she could make $12.00 and some change.
  • Kaylee was mixing up the Lemonade in the kitchen when I walked in she was taking a taste off the mixing spoon. I asked if she was going to put that back in the Lemonade? She said "ah nooo...". I then asked if she had already tasted it off the spoon and put it back? She said "ah yesss..". She said, should I dump it out and start over? No it will be Ok.
  • Kara almost selling enough items to pay for what she was buying. She was still $5.00 short by the end of the day.
  • People (more then one) trying to bargain for something that has a .25 cent sticker on it.
  • Old Man River warning me to "Watch out for the Mexicans and Tongans" They will steal from you.
  • Listening to an old guy telling me his computer experiences. Then asking for a business card from me (why didn't I say I was out?).
  • After stating that I can not go any lower, asking me 3 or 4 more times for a lower price.
  • Selling old laptops for a dollar

I am glad it is over and we made a little cash and got rid of a bunch of crap. My dad made a little bit of money as well.

1 comment:

Kim Bringhurst said...

A few constants I've been reminded of...

There will always be at least one "Joe Bigot" at a yard sale.

You can also count on at least one "Chatty Cathy/Carl" to show up.

And- it's just a given that if you buy a drink from a lemonade stand, you are basically agreeing to drink from "everyone's" cup!

I don't remember being this exhausted, but I'm glad we did it.